Tianjin University (TJU) offers 106 master degree programs, and the term of Master Programs are fixed at 2-3 years. Among them, 23 master degree programs can be offered fully in English. The study period is respectively 2-3 years.The Graduation Certificates will be conferred on the students who successfully complete the required study and research tasks, pass the designated examinations along with the thesis defense. Graduates who pass the academic degree evaluation will be awarded with the relevant Master Degree Certificates. In addition, students from Chinese-instructed programs are required to reach Band 5 of Chinese Language Proficiency Scales for Speakers of Other Languages while students from English-instructed programs are required to reach Band 3 before graduation. Students majors in MTCSOL and Cross-Cultural Education are required to reach HSK-6 before graduation. Please click here for Catalogue of Master Programs 2021.
1. Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens with a valid passport. For applicants who used to be Chinese citizens but later immigrated to other countries, the conditions set by the Document No. 12 (2020) of Ministry of Education of the People’s Republic of China should be met.
2. Applicants must have Bachelor Degree and be under the age of 35. Applicants should be in good health and of good character, be well-behaved and be willing to abide by China's laws and regulations, as well as the university rules.
3. Language proficiency requirements
① For Chinese-instructed program applicants: Students apply to majors in the field of Science and Engineering are required to submit HSK-4 certificates with the minimum score of 195. Students apply to majors in the field of Liberal Arts and Business Management are required to submit HSK-5 certificates with the minimum score of 180. Native Chinese speakers and applicants who complete the undergraduate study in Chinese are allowed to be exempted from providing HSK Certificates.
② For English-instructed program applicants: Students are required to submit English Proficiency Certificates. TOEFL 80 or IELTS 6.0 is mandatory. Native English speakers are allowed to be exempted from providing relevant certificates. For applicants who complete the undergraduate study in English can submit Certificate of Undergraduate Study in English as alternative language certificate instead of TOEFL or IELTS.
* The minimum language requirement for English MBA Program is TOEFL 85 or IELTS 6.5.
Ⅱ. How to Apply
Applicants should complete the Online Application Process on the International Student Service System (ISSS) （tju.at0086.cn/student）according to the application schedule. Applicants should fill in the application information online, upload the application documents listed below to the Online Application System.
1st Round: November 15, 2020 - March 15, 2021.
Interviews will be arranged in mid April, 2021 until further notice.
Admission results will be released in early May, 2021.
2nd Round: April 15, 2021 - June 15, 2021.
Interviews will be arranged in late June until further notice.
Admission results will be released in early July.
* Due to the limited quota for scholarships, early application is strongly recommended.
Please upload the following documents to the application system.
R Scanned Copy of Highest Diploma. Scan copy of Pre-graduation Certificate is required if the applicant has not gained degree certificate before the application deadline. Once admitted, students are required to present their original Bachelor Degree Certificate with the Degree Authentication Document upon registration for enrollment qualification review. Students who fail the enrollment qualification review will be disqualified from enrollment.
R Scan of notarized copy of the academic transcripts. Applicants who will not graduate before the application deadline must provide their current academic transcript. In this case, the completed academic transcripts must be submitted before registration.
R Photocopy of passport. Ordinary passport with valid period
R Chinese or English Proficiency Certificate.
R Study or Research Plan. At least 800 characters, in Chinese or English.
R Two Recommendation Letters in English or Chinese from two professors or associate professors (Please click to download the template).
R Acceptance Letter from TJU Supervisor. (Please click to download the template). Remember to upload it to the application system if you get the Acceptance Letter. Please click here to get contacts of professors.
R Physical Examination Record for Foreigners. (Please click to download the template). The medical examinations must cover all the items listed and should be conducted after November, 2020.
RApplicants who are now in China must submit Scan of Photocopy of Visa and Transfer Certificate from present university.
R Scan of Non-Criminal Record or Student Performance Letter.
ROther Attachments. Scholarship applicants should submit Scholarship Application Form, applicantsof School of Architecture are requested to submit E-work Collection and Video Presentation, self-sponsored and Peiyang Future Scholarship applicants should submit the Financial Statement, published papers etc.
1. All uploaded documents must be in Chinese/English; otherwise notarial
translations in Chinese/English are required. Once translated, the original documents and certified translations should be submitted together to the application system.
2. Please scan the original or notarized application documents in color using a scanner. Images captured by mobile phone or camera are not acceptable. Copies are also not acceptable.
3. Applications with incomplete documents will not be processed.
4. TJU has the right to request the applicants to provide the original or notarized hard copies of application documents for further qualification checks if the uploaded documents are not sufficient. Applicants shall guarantee all the information and application documents submitted in this application are authentic and accurate, otherwise they will be disqualified from admission.
Ⅲ Evaluation and Admission
1. TJU enrolls students based on evaluation of applicants’ academic record, language proficiency and interview performance. The admission committee of the applicable department/school will review the application documents and select applicants for further interview. Interview date will be announced afterwards, please pay attention to your E-mail and ISSS Message for the announcement. The final admission decision will be made after the interview.
2. Before the final admission result is released, applicants may check their admission status onISSS. TJU will issue Admission Notice and visa documents to students admitted.
At present, Tianjin University mainly provides the following scholarships to outstanding international master program students.
1. Chinese Government Scholarship (CGS)
Chinese Government Scholarship usually covers tuition, stipend, on-campus accommodation and medical insurance. Annual review is strictly required for all CGS holders. Applicants may choose the following Type A or Type B channel to apply for CGS, but repeated application through two channels is not allowed.
① Chinese Government Scholarship (type A)
Applicants should apply through Chinese Embassies or Consulates in the home country. For contact information of Chinese embassies/consulates, please visit the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People’s Republic of China. The application usually starts from November to April next year. When filling the Chinese Government Scholarship Application Form, please choose Tianjin University as the first choice. Applicants shall get Pre-admission Notice or Acceptance Letter from TJU Supervisor before you apply to the Embassy. Click here for more information.
② Chinese Government Scholarship (type B)
Applicants need to submit the application through China Scholarship Council.(Tianjin UniversityAgency Number is 10056, choose Type B). After finishing the application，applicants need to download the form and submit it to Tianjin University application system. Click here for more information.
2. Tianjin Government Scholarship (TGS)
Tianjin Government Scholarship includes full and partial scholarships. The full TGS provides tuition fee subsidy, stipend and medical insurance, while the partial one only offers tuition fee subsidy. The scholarship has a duration of one academic year and could be applied year by year. Applicants need to download the form and submit it to ISSS. Click here for more information. Click to download TGS Application Form.
3. Tianjin University Scholarship in School of Civil Engineering and Technology (TJUSSCET)
TJUSSCET is sponsored by the School of Civil Engineering and Technology to support prospective international students to apply for English-instructed Master Programs of Civil Engineering, Hydraulic Engineering, Ocean and Naval Structure Engineering. It includes full and partial. The full TJUSSCET provides tuition fee subsidy and stipend, while the partial only offers stipend. TJUSSCET has a duration of two academic years, holders need to pass annual review. Applicants need to download the form and submit it to Tianjin University application system. Click here for more information. Click to download TJUSSCET Application Form.
Ⅴ Visa Application and Registration
1. Admitted students are required to provide their personal passport, Admission Letter, the JW201/202 Form, Physical Examination Report with original test results to Chinese Embassy or consulate-general in their home country to apply for X1 Visa. Please confirm with the above mentioned authorities for the specific requirements of X1 Visa application documents.
2. Normally, registration is held in late August. All students should present the required original degree certificates, and submit the degree copies certified by degree conferring institutions or certification authorities upon registration at Tianjin University for enrollment qualification review. Students who fail the enrollment qualification review will be disqualified from enrollment.
Ⅵ. Costs (Unit: RMB Yuan)
1. Application Fee: RMB 420.
2. Tuition Fee: Please refer to ISSS.
3. Accidental Injury and Hospitalization Insurance: RMB 800/Year
① Weijin Road Campus: RMB 60/day per person for single room, RMB 50/day per person for double room.
② Peiyang Park Campus: RMB 40/day per person for single room.
Due to limited on-campus accommodation, dormitory rooms must be applied for by E-mail and it will be conducted on first-come, first-served basis. Those who fail to reserve the on campus dorms need to find off-campus accommodation independently.
Ⅶ Contact Information
International Admissions Office, School of International Education, Tianjin University
Address: 92 Weijin Road, Nanki District, Tianjin 300072, PR.China
Tel: 0086-22-2740 6691
Fax: 0086-22-2740 6147
Website: http://sie.tju.edu.cn/en/, www.tju.edu.cn/
For more information，please follow our WeChat.
1. Application Checklist
2. Affidavit of Financial Sponsor