Tianjin University (TJU) offers 117 doctoral degree programs. Among them, 47 doctoral degree programs can be offered fully in English (Pharmaceutical Science of master level and Applied chemistry pharmaceutical science direction of doctoral level are only delivered in English).The study period is respectively 3-4 years. Students who complete the tasks required in their training programs within the designated length of study, pass their assessments and meet the graduation requirements will be allowed to graduate by the University, and will be granted a graduation certificate. Students who are qualified to be awarded a degree will receive the relevant doctoral degree and diploma. All Chinese-taught graduates are required to reach Band 5 of Chinese Language Proficiency Scales for Speakers of Other Languages,while all English-taught graduates are required to reach Band 3 of Chinese Language Proficiency Scales for Speakers of Other Languages. Please click here for catalog of Doctoral programs 2021.
1. Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens with a valid passport. For applicants who used to be Chinese citizens but later immigrated to other countries, the conditions set by the Document No. 12 (2020) of Ministry of Education of the People’s Republic of China should be met.
2. Applicants should hold a Master degree and be under the age of 40. Applicants shall be of good moral character, physically and mentally healthy, and willing to comply with Chinese laws and the regulations of Tianjin University.
3. Language Proficiency requirements:
①Chinese-taught programs applicants need to submit HSK certificates. A minimum requirement of HSK4 (Score 195 or above) for Engineering/Science; HSK5 (Score 180 or above) for business and liberal arts is needed. (Native Chinese speakers or applicants taught in Chinese during master study may be exempted from the HSK test after certified by Tianjin University)
②English-taught programs applicants need to submit English proficiency certificate (Native English speakers are exempted). TOEFL: no less than 80, IELTS: no less than 6.0. （Native English speakers are exempted. Applicants who can get a master diploma taught in English may provide a certificate of Englishinstruction at the master level instead of IELTS and TOEFL certificates）
II. How to Apply
Applicants should complete the Online Application on the International Student Service System (ISSS)（tju.at0086.cn/student）according to the application schedule. Applicants should fill in the application information online, upload the application documents listed below to the Online Application System.
1st Round: Nov. 15, 2020- Mar. 15, 2021
Interviews will be arranged in mid April, 2021 until further notice.
Admission results will be released in early May, 2021.
2nd Round: Apr.15, 2021-Jun.15,2021
Interviews will be arranged in late June until further notice.
Admission results will be announced in early July, 2021.
* Due to the limited quota for scholarships, early application is strongly recommended.
Please upload all listed documents below to the application system:
1. Scan Copy of highest diploma. Scan of pre-graduation certificate is required if the applicants have not gained degree certificate before the application deadline, please resubmit the notarized copy of highest diploma before registration.
2. Scan of notarized copy of the academic transcripts (Applicants who will not graduate before the application deadline must provide their current academic transcript. In this case, the completed academic transcripts must be submitted before registration).
3. Photocopy of passport. (Ordinary passport with valid period)
4. Chinese or English Proficiency Certificate (for more requirements, please refer toQualifications )
5. Study or research plan: no less than 800 words in English or Chinese.
6. Two recommendation letters in English or Chinese from two professors or associate professors (please click to download the template).
7. Form of Provisional Acceptance of International Student by TJU Professor (please click to download the template). Remember to upload it to the application system, if you get the Acceptance letter.Please click here to get contacts of professors.
8. Photocopy of Foreigner Physical Examination Form (The medical examinations must cover all the items listed and should be conducted after November, 2020).
9. Applicants who are now in China must submit scan of Photocopy of Visa and Transfer Certificate from present university.
10. Scan of Non-Criminal Records or Student Performance Letter.
11.Other attachments: (Scholarship applicants should submit application form with signature, applicants for art or architectural majors are requested to submit E-works Collection and Video Presentation, self-sponsored and Peiyang Future Scholar Scholarship Applicants should submit the certificate of deposit from banks or the income certificate of the financial guarantor, published papers etc.）
1. All uploaded documents should be in Chinese or in English; otherwise notarial translations in Chinese or English are required. Once translated, the original documents and certified translations are to be submitted together to the application system.
2. Please scan the original or notarized application documents in color using a scanner. Images captured by mobile phone or camera are not acceptable. Copies are also not acceptable.
3. Applications with incomplete documents will not be processed.
4. TJU has the right to request the applicants to provide the original or notarized hard copies of application documents for further qualification checks if the uploaded documents are not sufficient. Applicants shall guarantee all the information and application documents submitted in this application are authentic and accurate, otherwise they will be disqualified from admission.
III． Evaluation and Admission
1. TJU enrolls students based on evaluation of applicants’ academic record, language proficiency andinterview performance. The admission committee of the applicable department/school will review the application documents and select applicants for further interview. Interview date will be announcedafterwards, please pay attention to the mailbox for the announcement. The final admission decision will be made after the interview.
2. Before the final admission result is released, applicants may check their admission status via the TJU online Application System. TJU will issue Admission notice and Visa documents to those admitted.
At present, Tianjin University mainly provides the following scholarships to outstanding internationaldoctoral program students.
1.Chinese Government Scholarship(CGS)
Chinese Government Scholarship usually covers tuition, stipend, on-campus accommodation and medical insurance. Annual review is strictly required for all CGS holders. Applicants may choose the following Type A or Type B channel to apply for CGS, but repeated application through two channels is not allowed.
① Chinese Government Scholarship (type A)
Applicants should apply through Chinese Embassies or Consulates in the home country. For contact information of Chinese embassies/consulates, please visit the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People’s Republic of China. The application usually starts from November to April next year. When filling the "Chinese Government Scholarship Application Form", please choose "Tianjin University" as the first choice. Applicants shall get Pre-admission notice or Form of Provisional Acceptance of International Student by TJU Professor before you apply to the Embassy. Click here for more information.
② Chinese Government Scholarship (type B)
Applicants need to submit the application through CSC systemhttp://www.csc.edu.cn/laihua/ (Agency number is 10056, choose Type B). After finishing the application，applicants need to download the form and submit it to Tianjin University application system. Click here for more information.
2. Peiyang Future Scholar Scholarship
Peiyang Future Scholar Scholarship provides tuition fee subsidy, stipend and on-campus accommodation withduration of four years, scholarship holders needs to pass annual review. Applicants should fill the application form and submit it to Tianjin University application system. Click here for more information. Click to download Peiyang Future Scholar Scholarship application form.
V. Visa Application and Registration
1. Admitted students should bring their personal and ordinary passport, Certificate of Admission, Visa Application Form (JW202/JW201), and original Form of Physical Examination Record for Foreigners (as well as other original documents of physical examination) to the Embassy or Consulate of the People's Republic of China, and apply for a student visa (X1 visa).Students must enter China with an ordinary passport and X1 visa, and must apply for a Residence Permit within 30 days after arrival in China. Students are required to arrive at TJU (along with the required documents) and complete their university registration during the dates indicated in the Admission package.
2. Normally, registration is held in late August. All students should present the required original degree certificates, and submit the degree copies certified by degree conferring institutions or certification authorities upon registration at Tianjin University for enrollment qualification review. Students who fail the enrollment qualification review will be disqualified from enrollment.
VI. Costs (Unit: RMB Yuan)
1. Application Fee: RMB 420
2. Tuition Fee: Please refer to International Student Service System.
3. Accidental Injury and Hospitalization Insurance: RMB 800/year
4. Accommodation on Weijin Road campus: RMB 60/day per person for single room, RMB 50/day per person for double room; Accommodation on Peiyang Park campus: RMB 40/day per person for single room.
Due to limited on-campus accommodation, dormitory rooms must be applied for by e-mail and it will be conducted on “first-come, first-served” basis. Those who fail to reserve the on campus dorms need to find off-campus accommodation independently.
VII. Contact Information
International Admissions Office, School of International Education, Tianjin University
Address: 92 Weijin Road, Nanki District, Tianjin 300072, PR.China
Tel: 0086-22-27406691 Fax: 0086-22-27406147
Website: http://sie.tju.edu.cn/en/, www.tju.edu.cn
For more information，please follow our WeChat.
1. Application Check list
2. Affidavit of Financial Sponsor